Barn yard toys are my favorite. There are endless amounts of language opportunities with these toys and here are just a few of my favorites.
Practice making the sounds the animals make
Identifying & Naming Objects
Practice identifying and naming the objects.
- Identify: “Can you show me the ______?”
- Name: “What is this?”
Model how to engage in pretend play for your child. For example, model different verbs in action like “eat”, “sleep”, “drink”.
- “The cow is so hungry/thirsty, can you give her something to eat/drink?”
- “The pig is so sleepy, it’s time for him to sleep.”
Practice using different location words. First see if your child understands the concept before they can use the words on their own.
- Put the cow in/on/next to/in front/behind the barn
- Where is the cow? Is she in/on/next to/in front/behind the barn?
How do you play with barn yard animals? Comment below or send a message straight to my inbox!